Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Handmaid's Tale

I finished this novel just a few minutes ago. I thought I wasn't going to finish it tonight, but then I ended up reading for a solid 2 hours. I just kept looking forward and saying, "Oh, I only have another 10 pages. I can do this..." I didn't realize that the Historical Background on A Handmaid's Tale was actually part of the story. I thought it was going to be something about Margaret Atwood researched something to write the book, but then I realized - wow, this part is important! It basically explains what exactly was going on. Poorly. After such a detailed, interesting, breeze of a novel, I was hoping for some explanation of chronology, the wars, what religion had to do with everything.....alas, no luck! But it wasn't as disappointing as Teacher Man. I'm not as let down since I didn't really know what to expect for an ending. All "Historical Background" aside, I was satisfied. I can make up a nice, neat little ending. The Black Van is part of the underground. Offred manages to escape somewhere else, somewhere better. I liked that Serena Joy and the Commander were scared at the end. I liked that Nick turned out to be a good guy...so far as we know. (But working for the Eyes! My goodness!)

I'd rate this book 9/10.

(I'll be rating books I finish from now on.)

No comments: