Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Story About Nothing

"Nathan Coulter" is turning out to be a story about nothing. But not in the good Seinfeld way. I'm about 30 pages from the end of the book and if you asked me what the plot of the book is, I'd say, "Nothing." There's no climax, there's no PROBLEM, there's just page after page describing the river and the farm and hick-farm people in Kentucky. If I didn't have to read this book for the book club, I would have deserted it a long time ago.

The strange thing about this book is that it's a quick read. I'm not sure WHY or HOW, but it is. I mean, the book is only 114 pages long which is perhaps one of its endearing qualities. I still find myself reading it wondering if something is FINALLY going to happen. I read the back of the book - Grandpa is supposed to die. Perhaps that's what's driving me to the end. I'm waiting for this old guy to DIE. Maybe while the authors at it, he (she?) can kill off the narrator, too. He has no mind of his own, a sort of BLANK SLATE NARRATOR who just reports, does whatever he's told, and always seems to have the word "Huh?" floating over his head at all times. Nathan Coulter must also die.

Death is a good way to end a book. I've done it in many of my novels. The tragic ending...oh so satisfying!

Well, next time, I'll report on the ending of this book and rate it. But I'm sure you can already guess my rating. Til next time!

No comments: