Friday, March 2, 2012

Catching Fire - 7/10

I suppose Suzanne Collins did something right with The Hunger Games, because I did end up purchasing the second book of the trilogy. I definitely wanted to know what happens next! After all, isn't that a sign of a good book? When you're disappointed that it's over, but lo and behold, there's a sequel to answer all your questions?

Catching Fire, however, is a book that answers questions with more questions. Of course. Suzanne Collins wasn't going to let me just buy 2 out of the 3 books, right? The sequel, like it's predecessor, suffers from too much "fluff." This time, I had to read 60% of the book until finally they're back in the arena. And that 60% is filled with too many characters (did you really expect me to keep 24 characters, plus those on the outskirts, straight? Seriously?) and meaningless action (if you can call tying knots and talking to Cinna "action"). Does the author have some sort of page quota or something to fill? Because the first half of the book was just ridiculous. I agree, there does have to be some character development, but this was overkill.

However, once the Quarter Quell begins, there is some mystery to be had regarding alliances. Again, the story is plagued by characters I needed to look up on the Hunger Games Wiki (website) to recall. Now remember, I read this book RIGHT AFTER The Hunger Games. It's not like I took a hiatus. So, there should be no reason for me to have to look up who's who, but of course, the author brings names back from the dead as if I'm supposed to remember this important character she's only mentioned once before. Like Johanna, who ends up being a semi-main character during the Quarter Quell, but you only meet her once before.

(No spoilers, don't worry)And then, there's the rushed ending. As an English teacher, I always tell my students whenever they need to write creatively, "Don't tell me. SHOW ME." Suzanne Collins didn't get that memo. The ending amounts to 3 lines explaining everything that happened. Oh. Okay. Thanks, Haymitch. Yes, the ending is a bombshell...and YES, I've already purchased Book 3. But why does the ending seem so rushed?! Maybe there is, in fact, a page quota and the author thought, "Whoops! I spent too much time discussing what happens before the Quell. Guess I'll just sum up what's happening really quickly since I only have 10 more pages left!" Surely things could be described better than they were. Of course, I knew this was going to happen. When I was at 93% on my Kindle with seemingly no end in sight, I knew something wasn't going to sit well in my stomach. And I was right.

The above are my criticisms, hence the 7/10 rating. Nonetheless, it was an interesting book to read. I kept reading because the author eloquently ends chapters that force you to keep going, wanting more. Despite the medley of names, it was still an easy read, smooth, simple sentences that push you forward into the plot. And let's face it, the subject and storyline are quite interesting!! Kids fighting to the death, an all-powerful government that tortures its people...it's superbly dystopian!

Well, see you in another month or two when I finish Book 3: Mockingjay.

No comments: