Saturday, July 10, 2010

Feed by M.T. Anderson

I've started a new book...okay, I'm halfway through this new book. It's called Feed by M.T. Anderson. You'll find it in the Young Adult section of your local bookstore/library. I can understand why it's categorized as young adult science fiction - imagine reading a book that's written exactly how teenagers talk. Every other, like, word, has the word "like" in it. You know, like, whatev.... Nonetheless, it could very well get reluctant teenage readers to read, not only due to the "likes" but also because there's so many f***ing curse words in it.

At first, I thought that maybe this book was some high school student's attempt to write a novel...and he was lucky enough to get it published, probably because of the concept of the book (which I'll explain in a second). But no, M.T. Anderson is in his 40's, which makes the writing style even more grotesque.

The concept of the novel is one many science fiction novels have explored: everyone has a chip in their head, mainly used to advertise products and places, but also is good for watching television, movies, listening to music, and chatting. Basically, it's a computer with internet...in your head. Then, one day, the protagonist and his friends go to the moon for Spring Break and at a club, some guy comes around and hacks into their chips. See, not everyone thinks the chips are a good idea... That's as far as I've made it through the book.

I'm not sure where this novel is going, but it's an easy read so...I'm sure I'll be done by Tuesday.

No comments: