Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

So, I finished The Road last night. I somehow devoured 110 pages yesterday and couldn't put the book down, not even at 1:30 in the morning. All that I hoped to know, the questions that were left unanswered...were never explained. Instead, Cormac McCarthy decided on the sad (but I suppose inevitable) ending and left the reader to feel, well... je ne sais quoa. It's not that I'm disappointed in the ending. I'm just left wanting more. MORE!! MOOOOORE!!!

Thankfully, there is more to have. The Road was wonderfully made into a movie. And movies take liberties with books, as we all know. So, I'm hoping (just this once) that the movie actually answers the burning questions, the unexplained mysteries surrounding the apocalypse!

The Road receives: 8/10. Interesting, engrossing setting, likable characters, and impressive imagery. -2 for grammatical confusion and leaving the "history of the world" almost completely unexplained. All in all, a good read!

No comments: